Iowa Credit Union Foundation Invested Over $155,000 to Support Financial Well-Being of Iowans in 2022
POSTED on January 25, 2023 IN ICUF
Announces Donations to Jumpstart 2023 and Executive Committee Changes
(Des Moines, Iowa) - The Iowa Credit Union Foundation (ICUF), the philanthropic arm of the Iowa Credit Union League, invested more than $155,000 in mission-aligned initiatives in 2022 to help champion financial well-being for all. Throughout 2022, ICUF strengthened its impact through expanded programming and continued support for credit union members and state-wide community organizations. Highlights of ICUF’s impact include:
- ICUF hosted its fourth annual ‘People Helping People’ Financial Coach Program, training credit union employees to help members navigate difficult financial situations and address financial inclusion needs. More than 150 coaches from 37 Iowa credit unions have graduated from the program since its inception in 2019.
- ICUF invested more than $54,000 in direct assistance to Iowa credit union members in need through its asset building programs and Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship in 2022.
- For the third year in a row, ICUF invested in the University of Northern Iowa’s Financial Skills for Smart Living Program, which provides educators with personal finance curriculum empowering students with the skills to make informed financial decisions. More than 10,000 students have already taken the course in high schools across Iowa.
Serving as the hub for Iowa credit union philanthropy, ICUF continues to address the needs of Iowans through investments, collaboration, education and advocacy. 51 credit unions across the state supported ICUF with a record-breaking charitable donation of $133,250. Additionally, ICUF received $67,500 in year-end gifts from Affiliates Management Company (AMC), holding company of the Iowa Credit Union League and its affiliates, including Coopera, First Community Trust, N.A., ViClarity and PolicyWorks to jumpstart its 2023 work. Collectively, this adds up to $200,750 in year-end donations.
“The Iowa Credit Union Foundation appreciates the continued support from Iowa credit unions, AMC and its family of companies as we start our work for 2023 and carry out our mission,” said Ena Babic Barnes, ICUF Executive Director. “As ICUF continues growing its impact, donations like this allow us to invest more into grants, programs and initiatives that support financial inclusion and well-being for all in Iowa.”
To start the new year, ICUF announced changes within their Executive Committee. Marian Holmes, VP of Consumer Lending & Governmental Affairs at Community 1st Credit Union, was elected as Board Chair for the 2023 term. Ann McMillian, ICUF’s outgoing Board Chair, will serve on the board for the remainder of her third year.
“I want to thank the entire board for their dedication to ICUF’s mission of championing financial well-being for all,” said Marian Holmes, ICUF’s incoming Board Chair. “Our board will continue to raise the threshold for fundraising to ensure our dollars will go toward developing innovative solutions that support our ‘People Helping People’ philosophy. I am looking forward to a meaningful 2023.”
ICUF also welcomed Kim Fettkether, Vice President of Strategic Development & Advocacy Officer at Veridian Credit Union, to its Board of Directors at its annual meeting last month. Fettkether will serve a three-year term.
“I am honored to join the Iowa Credit Union Foundation board and be a part of an organization that aligns so closely with both my professional and personal life,” said Kim Fettkether. “I look forward to working alongside fellow board members to provide strategic guidance and help strengthen ICUF’s commitment to improve the financial well-being of Iowans.”
The 2023 ICUF Board of Directors are:
- Board Chair: Marian Holmes, Community 1st Credit Union
- Vice Chair: Jordan Hensley, Peoples Credit Union
- Secretary: Julie Willse, Greater Iowa Credit Union
- Treasurer: Rebecca Neades, GreenState Credit Union
- Adam Carroll, National Financial Educators
- Alejandro Alaniz, Greater Iowa Credit Union
- Angela Drury, 1st Gateway Credit Union
- Ann McMillian, IH Mississippi Valley Credit Union
- Danielle Gratton, Dupaco Community Credit Union
- Donna Dyer-Bischoff, CUNA Mutual Group
- Jennifer Naeve, Ascentra Credit Union
- Jim Anderson, Des Moines Metro Credit Union
- Kim Fettkether, Veridian Credit Union
- Mary Bontrager, Community Volunteer
- Paula O'Rourke, Linn Area Credit Union
Founded in 1995 as the philanthropic arm of the ICUL, ICUF’s mission is guided by the credit union philosophy of ‘people helping people’. ICUF achieves this through its various programs, grants and scholarships. For more information, visit www.IowaCreditUnionFoundation.org.