Credit Union Leaders Gather for Annual Convention, Iowa Credit Union Award Winners Honored
POSTED on September 19, 2022 IN ICUL
Board of Directors Sworn in for New Term
DES MOINES - More than 600 credit union leaders, exhibitors, speakers and guests gathered in-person in Des Moines and online August 28-30 for the annual Iowa Credit Union Convention. This year’s convention celebrated the impact Iowa credit unions have made over the past year and explored new ways credit unions can impact the financial lives of Iowans moving forward.
Attendees were addressed in-person by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack and virtually by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds. A total of 20 breakout sessions provided attendees with a wide range of educational topics, including diversity and inclusion, advocacy, leadership, and legal and regulatory issues.
Five credit union leaders were honored during the 2022 Iowa Credit Union League (ICUL) Annual Meeting for their significant contributions to the credit union movement and the financial lives of Iowans.
- Marian Holmes, VP of Consumer Lending, Community 1st Credit Union, received the Cooperative Spirit Professional Award in recognition of her outstanding service to her credit union and for being a leading advocate for the financial well-being of Iowans.
- Paul Gengler, retired Board of Directors, Veridian Credit Union, received the Cooperative Spirit Volunteer Award in recognition of his outstanding commitment and leadership through first his employment with Veridian Credit Union followed by his service to the organization’s Board of Directors.
- Joan Auterman, Board of Directors, Linn Area Credit Union, received the Cooperative Spirit Volunteer Award in recognition of her 46 years of outstanding commitment and leadership on the Linn Area Credit Union Board of Directors.
- Steve Flamm, retired CFO and CEO, Premier Credit Union, received the Heritage Award in recognition of his lifetime achievements as a passionate ambassador of credits unions and career of improving the lives of credit union members.
- Hayley Vanderpool, Marketing and Member Events Coordinator, Serve Credit Union, received the Young Professional Award for her passion for the credit union movement as displayed through her advocacy efforts and leadership.
“The Iowa credit union industry is made up of outstanding leaders. The League is honored to acknowledge some of the best of the best who work to champion the financial lives of Iowans,” said ICUL President and CEO Murray Williams. “The credit union movement is committed to helping our 1.5 million members support and grow the communities where they live and work.”
Additionally, 11 ICUL board members were sworn in during the annual meeting to serve as strategic leaders for Iowa’s credit unions:
- Matt Dodds, Dupaco Community Credit Union (Board Chair)
- Greg Hanshaw, Community 1st Credit Union
- Jeff Hayes, North Star Community Credit Union
- Jordan Hensley, Peoples Credit Union
- Brad Mertens, Metco Credit Union
- Mike Moroney, AIM Credit Union
- Mark Peters, Employees Credit Union
- Julie Pingel, Fort Dodge Family Credit Union
- Cindy Stephenson, Iowa Heartland Credit Union
- Jami Weems, Serve Credit Union
- Scott Zahnle, Greater Iowa Credit Union (Board Vice-Chair)
The Iowa Credit Union League is the trade association that represents the interests of Iowa credit unions and their more than one million members. Credit unions are not-for-profit, financial cooperatives owned and operated by their members. Iowans use their credit union membership to receive higher interest rates on savings and lower interest rates on loans. For more information on ICUL, visit http://www.iowacreditunions.com.